John D. T. McAllister papers
Scope and Contents
Short typewritten biography with genealogical data, typescripts of selected journal entries concerning crossing the plains, 1851, the corner stone ceremony for the Salt Lake City, Utah Temple, 1852, his mission to England, 1852-1856, and travel with a handcart company on his return. Also included are three poems he wrote, correspondence to his wife, Anne E., and to David H. Cannon, 1886-1895, covering family affairs, political views and temple business, and a description of the Washington Monument stone from the State of Deseret.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John D. T. McAllister papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon pioneer, missionary, and president of the Latter-day Saint Church St. George and Manti, Utah Temples.
1 item (31 p.)(0.09 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Letters are photocopies.
Donated by Brent Ashworth in 1971 and Ellis S. McAllister in 1975. Part of the Bette B. Ashworth memorial collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Brent Ashworth; 1971. Donated; Ellis S. McAllister; 1975.
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
Biography compiled by Blanche M.S. Spendlove and Annie M.S. Hall.
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--England
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Manti Temple (Manti, Utah)
- McAllister family
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon handcart companies
- Mormons -- Songs and music
- Poetry -- 19th century
- Salt Lake Temple
- St. George Temple (Saint George, Utah)
- Washington Monument (Washington, D.C.)
- Register of John D. T. McAllister papers
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 July 12
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States