Charles Smith papers
Scope and Contents
Holographs with partial typescripts (photocopies) and typescript (photocopy). The journal tells of his life in England, Nauvoo, Illinois and Washington County, Utah, missions to England and Europe, and his life in the United Order as a polygamist. The journal 1860-1862 is written completely in Pitman shorthand. Record book includes family names and Latter-day Saint Church temple ordinances completed. Also included are an autobiographical sketch, an obituary, a memorium written by a grandchild, and an autobiographical record.
- Smith, Charles, 1819-1905 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Photocopies open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Charles Smith papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon pioneer and missionary.
2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Materials maintained in original order.
Donated by Mary Ann Matheson in 1975. Shorthand journal gift of the Deseret Museum.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Mary Ann Matheson; 1975.
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Transcriptions available in Folder 3-6.
Materials Specific Details
Originals restricted (except 1860-1862 journal).
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- England
- Latter Day Saint pioneers
- Material Types
- Missions and Missionaries
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Pioneers -- Utah
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Smith family
- United orders (Latter Day Saint churches)
- Washington County (Utah) -- History
- Register of Charles Smith papers
- Morgan Crockett
- 2010 July 12
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.