John Murdock autobiographies and an essay
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of microfilm copies of handwritten materials. The collection consists of a lengthy and a shortened version of an autobiography. Murdock wrote about his early life and his converstion to the Mormon Church in 1830. He followed that faith to Kirtland, Ohio; Missouri; and Illinois. He migrated to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and came to Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1847. He served on missions for the Mormon Church in New York and Australia. Murdock copied letters from leaders of the Mormon Church and family members in his autobiography. Also incuded is an essay about the doctrines of the Mormon Church.
- Murdock, John, 1792-1871 (creator, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Murdock autobiographies and an essay must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
John Murdock (1792-1871) was a Mormon convert who lived in Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois. He later migrated to Utah and settled in Lehi.
3 items (220 pages)
These materials were photocopied from the 920 microfilm collection, reel 20.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Council Bluffs (Iowa) -- History
- Kirtland (Ohio) -- History
- Lehi (Utah) -- History
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Doctrines
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Australia -- History
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- New York (State) -- History
- Mormons -- Illinois -- History
- Mormons -- Missouri -- History
- Mormons -- Ohio -- Kirtland -- History
- Murdock, John, 1792-1871
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church) -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Utah -- Emigration and immigration
- Register of John Murdock autobiographies and an essay
- Rose Frank
- 25 February 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States