Nathaniel Henry Felt Jr. missionary journal
Scope and Contents
Contains Nathaniel Felt's missionary journal from his Mormon mission to the Southern States, and a typescript of the journal. Entries date from between 1901 and 1903.
- Felt, Nathaniel Henry, Jr., 1861-1938 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Nathaniel Henry Felt Jr. missionary journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Nathaniel Henry Felt, Jr. (1861-1938) was a newspaper editor and businessman in Utah.
Nathaniel Henry Felt, Jr. was born on December 2, 1861, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Nathaniel Henry Felt and Mary Pile. Nathaniel attended common schools, supplemented by a university course. He spent a major part of his life in Manti, Sanpete, Utah, where he pioneered the first county newspaper, known first as the "Sanpete Sentinel" and later the "Manti Messenger." Later, he engaged in other commercial businesses in Manti, such as a confectionary, grocery store, and opera house. He also built and managed the Savory Hotel. He was appointed postmaster of Manti in June of 1914, a position he held for eleven years. He married Elvira Clark on December 2, 1887. He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Southern States from 1901 to 1903. Nathaniel Felt, Jr. died on October 29, 1938.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC3197.xml
Donated by Robert Kirby, of Springville, Utah, in September 2001.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Robert Kirby; 2001.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Folder level finding aid available (3 pp.).
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Southern States Mission
- Felt, Nathaniel Henry, Jr., 1861-1938 -- Diaries
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Southern States
- Mormon missionaries -- Southern States
- Southern States
- Register of Nathaniel Henry Felt Jr. missionary journal
- Rose Frank
- 2011 March 3
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.