Henry William Bigler diary
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of a microfilm copy of a handwritten autobiography and diary. Bigler wrote about his early life from 1815 to 1846 when his diary began. He was born in West Virginia, had encounters with Indians in that state, and joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1837. He moved to Far West, Missouri, in 1838; met Joseph Smith, the first president of the Mormon Church; suffered persecutions in Missouri; moved to Qunicy, Illinois, in 1839; and served on a mission for the Mormon Church in the Eastern States from 1839-1842. He served in the "Mormon Battalion", but there is a gap in the record from 1846 to 1853. Bigler served as a missionary for the Mormon Church in Hawaii from 1853 to 1855. He married Cynthia Jane Whipple in 1855 and lived in Farmington, Utah. He served on another mission to Hawaii in 1857. Bigler lived in St. George, Utah, for a time and worked on the Mormon Temple there.
- Bigler, Henry William, 1815-1900 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Henry William Bigler diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
Henry William Bigler (1815-1900) was a Mormon pioneer and missionary.
1 v. (227 p.)
Language of Materials
These materials were photocopied from reel 6 of the 920 microfilm collection in 2001.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Bigler, Henry William, 1815-1900
- Farmington (Utah) -- History
- Indians of North America -- West Virginia
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- Hawaii
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Hawaii
- Latter Day Saint pioneers
- Latter Day Saints -- Missouri -- History
- Latter Day Saomt missionaries -- East (U.S.)
- Saint George (Utah) -- History
- United States. Army. Mormon Battalion
- Register of Henry William Bigler diary
- Rose Frank
- 18 February 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.