Ebeneezer Emory Gore autobiography
File — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS SC 2473
Scope and Contents
Typewritten carbon copy of an autobiography with pencilled corrections composed in Lawrence, Kansas in 1904. Gore participated in an overland journey to Jacksonville, Oregon in 1852 and presents many insights into frontier and pioneer life. Gore was familiar with the Mormons in Kirtland, Ohio and in Nauvoo, Illinois. After the Mormons arrived in Kirtland, "the chicken-roosts suffered ... and the herds of stock frequently became reduced." When confronted the Mormons "would acknowledge the act but would justify themselves by saying that their prohpet [sic] had received a special revelation from God" allowing them to take all they needed. Gore called the Mormons of Nauvoo "those sinful people" and stated he saw the corpse of Joseph Smith (1805-1844), the first president of the Mormon Church. "He was as black as my hat."
- Gore, Ebeneezer Emory (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Ebeneezer Emory Gore autobiography must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
American farmer and pioneer who was born in Halifax, Vermont who moved to Kirtland, Ohio in 1826, to Charleston, Iowa in 1840, and later to Lawrence, Kansas in 1879.
1 item (20 p.)(0.03 linear ft.)
Donated in 1986.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Jacksonville (Or.) -- History -- Sources
- Kirtland (Ohio) -- History
- Lawrence (Kan.) -- History -- Sources
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Mormons -- Ohio -- Kirtland -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Oregon National Historic Trail -- History
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Overland journeys to the Pacific -- History
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844
- Register of Ebeneezer Emory Gore autobiography
- In Progress
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 October 29
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.