John F. Bennett photograph album of Church history
Scope and Contents
This collection contains one small black photo album. The album was made by John F. Bennett for Mr. and Mrs. George Albert Smith in the 1930s. It is similar to other albums put together by Bennett but is uniquely arranged with the Smiths in mind. Bennett used images created by several notable pioneer photographers such as William H. Jackson, C. R. Savage, George E. Anderson, C. W. Carter etc. The photographs selected should be considered some of the most notable images depicting the pioneer movement to the Salt Lake Valley and the development of Salt Lake City. Also included are images of LDS Church leaders including pictures of the Church's first presidencies from Joseph Smith to the presidency of Heber J. Grant. There are photographs of all of Brigham Young's wives, as well as group photographs of the leaders of several early church organizations. The Church Historical Department has at least two similar albums.
- Carter, C. W. (photographer, Person)
- Bennett, John F. (John Foster), 1865-1938 (Person)
- Smith, George Albert, 1870-1951 (former owner, Person)
- Anderson, George Edward, 1860-1928 (photographer, Person)
- Savage, C. R. (Charles Roscoe), 1832-1909 (photographer, Person)
- Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942 (photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research. Items kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John F. Bennett photograph album of Church history must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
John F. Bennett was a prominent figure in Utah history as well as a renowned artist. He worked in his youth as an apprentice to C.R. Savage.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Nyal W. Anderson; 2001.
Photographs (Photograph Archives).
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Apostles--Photographs
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Presidents--Photographs
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Mormon Church -- Apostles
- Mormon pioneers -- Photographs
- Mormons -- Photographs
- Mormons -- Utah -- Photographs
- Photograph albums
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Photographs
- Register of John F. Bennett photograph album of Church history
- Abe Austin
- 2012 March 29
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States