James Madison Flake diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diary kept from 1887 to 1889 when Flake was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England. Also included is a handwritten autobiography and diary. Flake summarizes his life to the year 1888 at which time he began a diary with many gaps and many short entries. Dates range from 1887 to 1929.
- Flake, James Madison, 1859-1946 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Digital copy available online. Transcription and microfilm also available for public use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
James Madison Flake was born on November 8, 1859 in Beaver, Utah to William Jordan Flake and Lucy Hannah White. He married Nancy Jane Hall on May 15, 1877 in Garfield, Utah, and then moved to Snowflake, Arizona in 1880 where he worked as a farmer. Flake served in the England mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from August 1887 to October 25, 1889. He died on February 4, 1946 in Snowflake, Arizona.
3 folders (0.15 linear ft.)
1 microfilm reel
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
LDS cultural, family, social, intellectual, mission, and religious history (19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collecting development policy, V, b, v, 1; March 2020)
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital copy available online. Transcriptions of original available in folder 2 and folder 4. Microfilm copy of original also available.
Processed; Meghan Hoesch; March 2020.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--England
- Flake, James Madison, 1859-1946 -- Diaries
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- England
- Mormon missionaries -- England -- Diaries
- Mormons -- Arizona -- Snowflake -- Diaries
- Mormons -- England
- Snowflake (Ariz.)
- Register of James Madison Flake diaries
- In Progress
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 7
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.