Arvin and Jean Palmer collection of Palmer and Thomas family mission journals
Scope and Contents
Contains the missionary journals of Elijah Thomas Jr. to the Northwestern States, LeRoy Arthur Palmer to the Southern States, and Elijah and Mary Ann Petersen Thomas to the Spanish-American Mission. Also contains transcriptions of the diaries. Materials date from 1907-2013.
- Thomas, Mary Ann Petersen, 1881-1962 (Person)
- Palmer, LeRoy Arthur, 1911-2003 (Person)
- Thomas, Elijah, Jr., 1876-1967 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Arvin and Jean Palmer collection of Palmer and Thomas family mission journals must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
LeRoy Arthur Palmer (1911-2003) was a Latter-day Saint from Arizona that served a mission to the Southern States.
LeRoy Arthur Palmer was born August 3, 1911 in Saint Johns, Arizona to Arthur Palmer and Evaline Augusta Gibbons. He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Southern States in 1935. He married Lucille Thomas on June 12, 1939 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He died on November 19, 2003 in Taylor, Arizona.
Elijah Thomas Jr. (1876-1967) was a Latter-day Saint man from Arizona that served a mission to the Northwestern States.
Elijah Thomas Jr. was born November 24, 1876 in Leeds, Utah to Elijah Murray Thomas and Emily Hampton. He married Mary Ann Petersen on October 9, 1900 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He served a mission to the Northwestern States in 1907 and later a mission with his wife to the Spanish-American Mission in 1944. He died on April 8, 1967 in Winslow, Arizona.
Mary Ann Petersen Thomas (1881-1962) was a Latter-day Saint woman from Arizona who served a mission with her husband to the Spanish-American Mission.
Mary Ann Petersen was born December 14, 1881 in Pinedale, Arizona to Niels Pedersen and Ane Marie Mary Mortensen. She married Elijah Thomas Jr. on October 9, 1900 in Salt Lake City, Utah. She served a mission with her husband to the Spanish-American Mission in 1944. She died March 4, 1962 in Mesa, Arizona.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
The journals were given to Arvin Palmer, the son of LeRoy Arthur Palmer and the grandson of Elijah Thomas Jr. and Mary Ann Petersen Thomas, who donated the journals to Special Collections in 2014.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Arvin Palmer; 2014.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
Processed; Peter Hoyt, student manuscript processor; 2014.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Northwestern States Mission -- Diaries
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Southern States Mission -- Diaries
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Spanish-American Mission -- Diaries
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Southern States -- Diaries
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Northwestern States -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Spanish-American Mission -- Diaries
- Palmer, LeRoy Arthur, 1911-2003 -- Diaries
- Thomas, Elijah, Jr., 1876-1967 -- Diaries
- Thomas, Mary Ann Petersen, 1881-1962 -- Diaries
- Register of Arvin and Jean Palmer collection of Palmer and Thomas family mission journals
- Pete Hoyt
- 2014 March 11
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.