Photograph of Salt Lake Temple
Scope and Contents
The item is a photograph of the Salt Lake Temple. The photograph was taken between the laying of the capstone in April 1892 and the dedication in April 1893. A part of the Salt Lake Tabernacle is barely visible on the left side of the photograph. Trees surround the Temple, but the gardens have not yet been planted. Two ladders and a man can be seen on the west spires.
- approximately 1892-1893
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances/ Permission to publish material from Photograph of Salt Lake Temple must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
On July 28, 1847, just four days after arriving in the Salt Lake Valley, Brigham Young marked out the location for the Salt Lake Temple. The temple site was dedicated on February 14, 1853 by Heber C. Kimball, and Brigham Young presided over the groundbreaking ceremonies on April 6 of that year. Truman O. Angell was appointed as the architect. The capstone was laid on April 6, 1892, and the Salt Lake Temple was dedicated by Wilford Woodruff exactly 40 years after the cornerstone was laid, on April 6, 1893.
1 photograph ((1.5 linear ft.) ) : b&w ; 41 x 51 cm.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
The item donated to the L. Tom Perry Special Collections in 2012 by Gwendolyn Mitchell. It was found in the walls of the Jensen Mansion in 1964 before the mansion was torn down.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Gwendolyn Mitchell; 2012.
Photographs (Photograph Archives).
Processed; Anne Ashton, student photograph processor; 2013.
- Aerial views
- Albumen prints
- Architecture -- Photographs
- Architecture -- Utah -- Photographs
- Buildings -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- Photographs
- Church architecture
- Church buildings -- Photographs
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Mormon Church -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Mormon Church -- Utah -- Salt Lake City
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- 19th century
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Photographs
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- Photographs
- Salt Lake Temple
- Utah -- Mormon temples
- Register of Photograph of Salt Lake Temple
- Anne Ashton
- 2013 August 8
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.