Maurice Gardner musical works and papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes Maurice Gardner's musical works, which consist of his original music scores, manuscripts, printed scores, photocopies, and sketches. The collection also includes his correspondence, photographs, awards, promotional material, audio recordings, applications, and news clippings. Dated approximately 1940-2001.
- Approximately 1940-2001
- Gardner, Maurice (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.Permission to publish material from the Maurice Gardner musical works and papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Maurice Gardner (1909-2002) was an acclaimed violist and composer from New York.
He began writing music at the age of 6. At age 19 he studied at Juilliard under the direction of Leopold Mannes. He had a 40 year career as a free lance composer for film, radio, and television. During this time he wrote over 600 works that also included works for instrument solos, chamber ensembles, chorus, and orchestra. He founded the Great Neck Symphony and the Staff Music Publishing Company. He was the author of the Choral Reader and The Orchestrator's Handbook. He retired in 1970 in Florida where he continued to write music till his death in 2002.
11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
1 oversize boxes (1.66 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized into two series: 1. Maurice Gardner musical works, 1940-2001.
2. Maurice Gardner papers, 1954-2001.
Donated by Maurice Gardner's son circa 1997.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Maurice Gardner's son; approximately 1997.
Prominent Violinist, (Section IV Primrose International Viola Archive Collection Development Policy January 2011).
Processed; Brian Fletcher; April 2011.
- 2 cartons, 24 pieces, 301 parts, Copyright 1978-2001 Canticle for Violoncello Duo and Piano (2-Vlncello II; 1-Vlncello I) Concertino for Viola and Chamber Orchestra (7-VlnI; 6-VlnII; 5-Vla; 5-Cello; 5-Bass; 1-Piano score + Vla) Concertino for String Quartet (9-VlnI; 9-VlnII; 8-Vla; 8-Cello; 2-Score) Concerto for Viola and Orchestra (1-Vlncello; 4-Score) Concerto for Violin and Orchestra (3-Score) Concerto for Violin, Viola and Orchestra (1-Vln; 2-VlnI; 1-Vla) Concerto for Violin, Viola and Orchestra/Piano Reduction (7-Set of Parts; 1-Piano score) Variations on The King's Hunting Jigg for Solo Violin (38-Vln) Variations on The King's Hunting Jigg for Strings (18-Set of Parts + Conductor score) Variations on The King's Hunting Jigg for Solo Viola (46-Vla) Micrologus/Sonata for Viola and Piano (2-Piano score + Vla part) Piano Quartet No. 2 for Piano, Violin, Viola, and Cello (4-Score) Rhapsody for Viola and Orchestra/Piano Reduction (11-Piano score + Vla part) Serenade for Viola and Piano (9-Piano score + Vla part) Six Viola Studies (6-Vla) Sonata for Violoncello and Piano (1-Piano score; 19-Piano score + Cello part) String Quartet No. 3 (3-Score) String Quartet No. 4 (5-VlnI) String Quartet No. 5/"Cantus Hungaricus" (1-VlnI; 1-VlnII; 1-Score) Suite for Two Pianos (7-Score) Suite for Violin and Viola (7-Set of parts) Symphony92 (1-Score) Tricinium/Sonata for Solo Viola (32-Vla) Unicinium-II/Concerto for Orchestra (1-Score)
- Register of Maurice Gardner musical works and papers
- Brian Fletcher
- 2011 April 28
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.