Harold G. Connell papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photographs, scrapbooks, correspondence, memorabilia, medical records, music, research notes, and family histories. The materials document Connell's personal and professional lives, including his service as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Palestine, Syria, Mission. Materials date from 1947 to 1967.
- Connell, Harold G. (Harold Gregory), 1925-2005 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Privacy restricted until 2029. Permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Harold G. Connell papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Harold G. Connell (1925-2005) was a music instructor in the District of Columbia area.
Harold Gregory Connell was born December 5, 1925, in Putnam Valley, New York, to Thomas Connell and Ruth Edna Mae Lloyd Connell. During the Second World War, he served in the United States Army Air Corp. After the war, he served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Lebanon. Following the completion of his mission, he attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He graduated from BYU with a Bachelors degree in Music in 1954 and a Masters degree in Music in 1959.
In 1955, Harold Connell married Norma Kathleen Tovey in Salt Lake City, Utah. He had a successful career teaching music in the District of Columbia and Maryland. He and his wife had seven children: Ruth Connell Costea, Mary Connell Curtis, Daniel Connell, John Connell, Hal Connell, Richard Connell, and Jim Connell. Harold Gregory Connell died September 21, 2005, in Great Falls, Montana. He was preceded in death by his wife, who died October 9, 2002.
10 cartons (10 linear ft.)
1 oversize box (1.33 linear ft.)
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Retained in original order.
Donated by Richard O. and Cynthia W. Connell in 2009.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Richard O. and Cynthia W. Connell; 2009.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007.)
Documents the personal and professional life of Harold G. Connell, a Mormon music professor.
Processed by GlendaLynn Ainsworth, Audrey Spainhower, and Elizabeth Ballif, student processors, and John M. Murphy, curator.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Lebanon
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions -- Syria
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Connell family
- Connell, Harold G. (Harold Gregory), 1925-2005 -- Archives
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Lebanon
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Syria
- Mormon missionaries -- Lebanon -- History -- Sources
- Mormon missionaries -- Syria -- History -- Sources
- Notated music
- Register of Harold G. Connell papers
- John M. Murphy, curator
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Carton: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 13 (Mixed Materials)