Mildred Miles Dillman papers
Scope and Contents
Contains various materials concerning Native American and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint news. Includes photographs, slides, maps, postcards, sketches of various sites and Native Americans; letters, a supper report, miscellaneous notes, poems, and lists; Native American symbols sheets, articles, and newspaper clippings concerning Native Americans and Latter-Day Saints.
- Dillman, Mildred Miles, 1893-1980 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Mildred Miles Dillman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Biographical / Historical
Mildred Miles Dillman (1893-1980) was a teacher, author, historian, and researcher on the subject of Ute history.
Mildred was born July 3, 1893. On July 1, 1916, she married Ray Eugene Dillman. Throughout her life she was a teacher, author, historian, and researcher on the topics of Ute history, ethnography, and archaeology. She was called a "woman of many baskets" by the Ute tribes because of her interest in collecting artifacts.
She died in March of 1980.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.05 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by William K. Kelly in 1991.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; William K. Kelly; 1991.
II B V VI; Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history.
II B V IV; Ethnic and Minority History.
A letterbook dated 1880 was separated from the collection in 1995.
Folder 2 labeled and removed from Box 1 to be placed in cold storage in 2008. Additional folders labeled as 3+ and left in Box 1 in 2019.
Processed; Melissa Cowles, student processor and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Dillman, Mildred Miles, 1893-1980
- Indians of North America -- History
- Mormon women authors
- Ute Indian Tribe
- Ute Indians -- History
- Ute Indians -- Photographs
- Women historians -- United States
- Register of Mildred Miles Dillman papers
- Melissa Cowles, student processor and John Murphy, curator
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.