R. A. Dowdle diaries
Scope and Contents note
Handwritten diaries by R. A. Dowdle about his experiences in Tahiti and in others of the Society Islands as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, accompanied by a songbook of English and Tahitian songs. Collection also includes a journal from Dowdle's service in the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association, and photocopies of all items.
Conditions Governing Access note
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use note
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the R.A. Dowdle diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
R. A. Dowdle (1870-1927) was a Mormon farmer from Newton, Utah. He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Society Island between 1899 and 1902.
Robert Amos Dowdle was born December 11, 1870 in Willard, Utah, to John Clark Dowdle and Orpha Warner. He served as a Mormon missionary to the Society Islands from 1899-1902. He was sealed to Mary Ann Larsen on November 11, 1903 in the Logan, Utah, LDS Temple. Robert Dowdle died October 20, 1927.
3 folders (0.3 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Five handwritten diaries, with photocopies, documenting Robert A. Dowdle's mission to the Society Islands. Also included is a journal of the MIA Stake Mission of the Utah Stake.
Custodial History note
Donated by Defonda Collier in 1987 and 1994.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Donated; Defonda Collier; 1987 and 1994.
LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy for 19th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
Processing Information note
Processed; Meghan Mathews; 8 May 2007.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--French Polynesia--Society Islands
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--French Polynesia--Tahiti (Island)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association
- Dowdle, R. A. (Robert Amos), 1870-1927 -- Diaries
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- French Polynesia -- Society Islands -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- French Polynesia -- Tahiti (Island) -- Diaries
- Mormons -- French Polynesia -- Society Islands
- Mormons -- French Polynesia -- Tahiti (Island)
- Society Islands (French Polynesia)
- Songs, English -- French Polynesia -- Tahiti (Island)
- Songs, Tahitian
- Register of the R. A. Dowdle diaries
- Meghan Mathews and Karen Glenn, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States