Jesse Bigler Martin diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries with a typed copy of one volume. Martin kept diaries apparently in three volumes. The second and third volumes covering the time from 1854 to 1857 are found with the collection. A typed copy of the first diary covering the years from 1853 to 1854 is also included. Martin writes about his work as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England. He returned to the United States in 1857 and traveled by rail to Iowa City, Iowa. Martin writes in detail about preparation for the overland journey. He left Iowa City for Florence, Nebraska, where he continued the overland journey by ox team to Utah. The diary ends near Chimney Rock, Nebraska. Martin is a detailed diarist and describes travelling conditions and trail geography, his duties as captain, deaths from disease and accident, and several disputes within the company. Martin also gives a record of his expenses, the names of his family and their birthdates, and a list of addresses at the end of the diary. Photocopies of transcripts of the diaries are also included in the collection.
- Martin, Jesse Bigler, 1825-1908 (author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Condition restricted; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services. Patrons should use photocopies and typescripts.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Jesse Bigler Martin diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Jessee Bigler Martin (1825-1908) was a Mormon missionary and pioneer, soldier in the Mormon Battalion, and farmer who settled in Millard County, Utah.
3 v. (0.18 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopy of diary available in folders 2 and 2a. Transcription available in folder 3.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Martin, Jesse Bigler, 1825-1908 -- Diaries
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon converts -- England -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- England -- Diaries
- Mormon pioneers -- West (U.S.) -- Diaries
- Overland Journeys to the Western United States
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Register of Jesse Bigler Martin diaries
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 May 23
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.