Joseph E. Arrington papers
Scope and Contents
Contains research notes and manuscripts on Latter-day Saint temples and aspects of Latter-day Saint life collected by Joseph Arrington, as well as notes and manuscripts on historical moving panoramas. Also contains personal, academic, and ancestral correspondence, along with various personal items and 17th-19th century books purchased at auctions. Photographs, family and business correspondence, family history information, maps, travel guides, and art prints are also present. Dated approximately 1800 to 1976.
- approximately 1800-1976
- Arrington, Joseph E. (Joseph Earl), 1895-1986 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joseph Earl Arrington (1895-1986) was a Latter-day Saint historian.
Joseph Earl Arrington was born on June 21, 1895 to LeRoy Madison and Priscilla Jane Brisendine Arrington in Reed Hill, Tennessee. He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Utah in 1921 and his master's degree from the University of Chicago in 1923. He married Genevieve Thornton on October 11, 1932 in Brooklyn, New York. They had one child, Wendell Snow.
Arrington specialized in Latter-day Saint history and was heavily involved in researching the Nauvoo Temple. His work included collecting papers and images about the temple in Illinois. He was also involved in researching and displaying various playbills and photographs, making use of photostat technology to make and display copies of such images.
He died in September of 1986.
118 cartons (118 linear ft.)
23 boxes (11.5 linear ft.)
12 oversize boxes (13.15 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged into four series: 1. Joseph E. Arrington manuscripts of the Nauvoo Temple , approximately 1930-1950. 2. Joseph E. Arrington panorama papers, approximately 1850-1970. 3. Joseph E. Arrington personal papers, approximately 1800-1976. 4. Joseph E. Arrington art prints, approximately 1850-1970.
Original collection acquired in 1978. Additional items were donated to Special Collections by Wendell Arrington in 1997. Two folders were found in the 20th Century Workroom in 2014.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Joseph Arrington; 1978.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Wendell Arrington; 1997.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Found; 20th Century Workroom; 2014.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
Processed; John M. Murphy, Curator and Amanda Clark, Student Processor; 2011.
Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Photius. Photii, Sanctissimi Patriarchae Constantinopolitani epistolae. London: Roger Daniel, 1651.; Aeschyli Tragoediae septem: denuo recensuit et versionem Latinam adjecit Christ. Godofr. Schütz. Vol. 1. Halae: Apud Joan. Jac. Gebauer, c. 1800.; The Beauty of England and Wales; or, Delineations: Topographical, Historical, and Descriptive. Vol. 1. London: Vernor & Hood, Poultry, 1801.; Sheridan, Richard Brinsley. The Rivals: A Comedy, in five acts. London: Thomas Hailes Lacy, N.D.; Jesus Christ the Minister of God in the Salvation of Men: A Sermon, Delivered to the Second Church in Worcester, by the Rev. Aaron Bancroft, D.D.; Holdsworth, E. The Mouse-trap: or a Battle between the Welch and the Mice. Translated by Samuel Cobb. London: J. Brown, 1772.; Title page of Kimber, E. and R. Johnson. The Baronetage of England. Vol. 2. London: G. Woodfall, 1771.; "Statistics of the Population of the Province of New-York, 1647-1774" et.al.; Ellis, George E. History of the Battle of Bunker's [Breed's] Hill, on June 17, 1775, From Authentic Sources in Print and Manuscript. Boston: Lockwood, Brooks, and Company, 1875.; Coburn, Frank W. The Centennial History of the Battle of Bennington. Boston: George E. Littlefield, 1877.; Correspondance Litteraire. Vol. 1 and 2. Paris: Migneret, 1801.; Buchan, William. Domestic medicine: or, a Treatise on the Prevention and Cure of Diseases by Regimen and Simple Medicines. 17th ed. Halifax: Abraham Hodge, 1801.; A Letter from Truth to a Member of the Rose-Club. London: J. Roberts, 1717.; Bouchain: in a Dialogue Between the Late Medley and Examiner. London, A. Baldwin, 1711.; Hoadley, Benjamine. The Nature of the Kingdom or Church of Christ: A Sermon, Preached before the King at the Royal Chapel of St. James's, March 31, 1717. Portsmouth: N. S. & W. Peirce, 1802.; The Lucubrations of Isaac Bickerstaff, Esq. Vol. 2. London: Charles Lillie, 1710.; Excerpts from The Tatler. No. 90-92. (p. 291-302).; Sherlock, Thomas. The Condition and Example of our Blessed Saviour Vindicated: In answer to the Bishop of Bangor's Charge of Calumny Against the Dean of Chichester. London: J. Pemberton, 1718.; Dunlop, William. A Preface to an Edition of the Westminster Confession, &c. Lately publish'd at Edinburgh: Being a full and particular Account of all the Ends and Uses of Creeds and Confessions of Faith: A defence of their Justice, Reasonableness and Necessity, as a Publick Standard of Orthodoxy. 2nd ed. London: T. Cox, 1724.; Serle Ambrose. Horae Solitariae: or, Essays upon some remarkable names and titles of the Holy Spirit, occurring in the Old and New Testaments, and Declarative of his Essential Divinity and Gracious offices in the Salvation of Men. Vol. 2. Hartford: Silas Andrus, 1815.; The Imperial Epistle, and The Shade of Alexander Pope. Philadelphia: H. Maxwell, 1800.; Lenoir, Alexandre. Musee des Monumens Francais, ou Description. Paris: Guilleminet, 1800.; Otway, Thomas. Venice Preserved or, a Plot Discovered. A Tragedy. Adapted for Theatrical Representation. London: John Bell, 1791.; Morton, Thomas. Columbus: or, A World Discovered: a Historical Play. Dublin: P. Wogan, 1793.; Murphy, Arthur. The Grecian Daughter: A Tragedy. Philadelphia: Henry Taylor, 1791.; Demoustier, Charles Albert. Le Divorce, Comedie en Deux Actes, en Vers. Paris: Pelissier, N.D.; Reynolds, Frederick. Notoriety: A Comedy. London: W. Woodfall, 1793; Williams, Alice. Quotations from Dr. newton's Dissertations on The Prophecies, which have remarkably been fulfilled, and at this time are fulfilling in the World; with Some Unble Remarks respecting the Latter Days; or, the Approach of the Expected Millennium: supposed to commence at the expiration of six thousand years from the creation of the earth. And Observations on the Benefit of the Press. London: 1793.; Barclay, Robert. Universal Love Considered and established upon its Right Foundation: being a serious inquiry how far Charity may, and ought to, be extended, towards Persons of different judgments in Matters of Religion. London: James Phillips, 1799.; Kendal, Samuel. A Sermon preached October 23, 1793, at the Ordination of Mr. Thaddeus Mason Harris, to the pastoral care of the church and Christian society in Dorchester. Boston, Apollo Press 1794.; A Sermon, by the late Rev. John Burnett. Hull: W. Savage, 1798.; Minutes of the proceedings at a Court Martial assembled on Board his Majesty's Ship Royal William, in Portsmouth Harbour, on Tuesday the 16th Day of August 1791, and continued by Adjournment every Day, until the 20th Day of the same Month.; Preface to The American Preacher; or a Collection of Sermons from some of the most eminent preachers, now living in the United States, of Different Denominations in the Christian Church. Vol. 4. New-Haven: Able Morse, 1793.; Unitarian Society. 1794.; Transactions of the Wordsworth Society. No 1, 3. [1882?]; Maxcy Jonathan. Sermon delivered in the Baptist Meeting-house in Providence, on Lord's Day Afternoon, October 14, A.D. 1798. Occasioned by the death of Welcome Arnold, Esq. Providence: Carter and Wilkinson, 1798.; A Sermon, occasioned by the death of the Rev. Joseph Towers, LL.D. Delivered at Newington-Green, June 2D, 1799, By the Rev. James Lindsay, to which is added The Oration, delivered at his internment, By the Rev. Thomas Jervis. London: J. Johnson, 1799.; de la Croix, M. Constitutions des Principaux Etats de l'Europe et des Etats-Unis de l'Amerique. 2nd ed. Vol. 2. Paris: Buisson, 1791.; The Duty of Constables; containing instructions to constables, petty constables, headboroughs, tythingmen, &c. in the several particulars of their office. London: G. G. and J. Robinson, 1798.; The Necessity of a Speedy and Effectual Reform in Parliament. Manchester: M. Falkner and Co., [1792?]; Barnard, Thomas. A Discourse, delivered before the Humane Society of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at the Semiannual meeting, June 10, 1794. Boston: Apollo Press, 1794.; A letter from Mr. Burke, to a Member of the National Assembly; in answer to some objections to his Book on French Affairs. 4th ed. London: J. Dodsley, 1791.; Catalogue of the Officers and Members of The Hasty-Pudding Club in Harvard College. Cambridge: Welch, Bigelow, & Co., 1860.; Pearce, Samuel and Pere G. Smith. Circular letter, of the Elders and Messengers of the several Baptist Churches, met in Association at Bewdley, in Worcestershire, England, May 26th and 27th, 1795. Pittsfield: Phinehas Allen, 1804.; A brief pamphlet on "Lord Viscount Duncan"; Vidler, William. A Sketch of the Life of Elhanan Winchester, preacher of the Universal restoration, with a review of his writings. London: T. Gillet, 1797.; The report of a Committee Appointed to Explore the Western Waters in the State of New-York: for the purpose of Prosecuting the Inland Lock Navigation. Albany: Barber and Southwick, 1792.; Memoirs of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences 1, no. 1. New-Haven, Oliver Steele and Co., 1810. [Title page and preface missing]; Cornelius a Lapide, Commentaria in Quatuor Prophetas Maiores. Antwerp: Martinum Nutium, 1625.
- Register of Joseph E. Arrington papers
- In Progress
- Megan Furcini
- 2011 April 26
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.