Jens Hansen diary
Scope and Contents
Collection contains two photocopies of Jens Hansen's diary from 1886, which includes an account of his trial and experience in the territorial penitentiary. Diary is written in parallel versions, one a narrative account and the other a series of daily entries. Also includes copies of autograph book entries written by Hansen during his stay. His entries describe conditions and activities in the prison, and his relationship with his family.
- Hansen, Jens, 1837-1917 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Jens Hansen diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
Jens Hansen (1837-1917) was a Mormon farmer from Salt Lake County, Utah. He was born in Denmark and emigrated to the United States in 1862 with his wife and children. He married again in 1864, and raised two families. In 1886 he was convicted of unlawful cohabitation and served six months in the territorial penitentiary.
2 folders (0.16 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Noriene C. Boyce; 1992.
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Hansen family
- Home and Family
- Material Types
- Mormon families -- Utah -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History -- 19th century
- Polygamy -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Prisons -- Utah -- History
- Social Life and Customs
- Register of Jens Hansen diary
- Rose Frank
- 10 June 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States