Charles W. Hancock papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains the personal journals of Charles W. Hancock documenting his life from the time of his mission call in 1896 until 1942. The journals include five volumes, along with an additional volume containing a record of baby blessings, priesthood confirmations, baptisms, and other events that occurred during his mission service. Also included in the collection are thirty-six photographs taken during his mission. Images include mission companions, people he served, the mission homes, the Hawaii Temple, and other important buildings in Hawaii.
- approximately 1896-1942
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research. 3Photographs;Items kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Charles W. Hancock papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Charles William Hancock (1876-1961) was born in Harrisville, Utah, to Charles and Louisa Hancock. He grew up in Cambridge, Idaho. In 1896 Charles was called to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Sandwich Islands. After his return Hancock married Martha Richardson, with whom he had corresponded throughout his mission. They had four children, and settled in Wapello, Idaho. Hancock died in 1961 in Blackfoot, Idaho.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Eugene Merrill Hancock.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Hawaii--History
- Hawaii -- Photographs
- Hawaii Temple (Laie, Hawaii) -- Photographs
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Hawaii -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Hawaii -- Photographs
- Mormons -- Hawaii -- History
- Mormons -- Hawaii -- Photographs
- Mormons -- Idaho -- Diaries
- Register of Charles W. Hancock papers
- Amy Perez
- 5 April 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.