Roy Watkins Doxey papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 3270
Scope and Contents
The papers of Roy Watkins Doxey contain research notes and materials, scrapbooks, correspondence, graduate student papers, and family history materials.
- approximately 1944-1974
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Roy W. Doxey was born in Ogden, Utah on February 27, 1908. He married Alberta Opheikins in 1934. He served as the mission president for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Eastern Mission beginning in 1944 and ending in 1948. During his time as mission president, he reestablished the Hill Cumorah pageant following the end of WWII. Doxey also developed a standardized teaching method for missionary use. Doxey joined the faculty at Brigham Young University where he taught religion classes until 1974. In 1963, he was appointed chairman of the Department of Undergraduate Studies in Religion. Doxey served as Dean of Religious Education at BYU from 1971 to 1974. He was succeeded by Jeffrey R. Holland. Doxey also served on the Utah Valley Hospital board and published twelve books. He died in 1992.
13 boxes (12.5 linear ft.)
This series is arranged into 5 series: 1. Roy W. Doxey mission president's papers, 1946-1948. 2. Roy W. Doxey scrapbooks, approximately 1974- 1980. 3. Roy W. Doxey student papers, approximately 1953-1972. 4. Roy W. Doxey research and correspondence, approximately 1848-1988. and 5. Roy W. Doxey miscellaneous papers, approximately 1938-1965.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3270.xml
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
Processed; John Murphy and Melissa Cowles, student processor; 2007.
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty--History
- Brigham Young University. Religious Education -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- College students' writings
- Doxey, Roy W. (Roy Watkins), 1908-1992 -- Archives
- Missions and Missionaries
- Provo (Utah)
- Research (Documents)
- Register of the Roy Watkins Doxey papers
- Melissa Cowles
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Carton: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 7 (Mixed Materials)