Samuel Francis journal
Scope and Contents
Journal of Samuel Francis kept from 1850-1857, while he was serving a mission in England, Italy, and Switzerland. Contains a photocopy of the original journal, a photocopy of a typescript of the journal, several pedigree charts, and a biographical sketch. The journal is 245 pages long on pages that measure approximately 7-1/2 x 5-1/2 inches.
- Francis, Samuel (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Samuel Francis journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Samuel Francis was born in Trowbridge, England on 3 July 1830 and joined the LDS Church on 8 February 1847 when he was seventeen years old. In 1850 he began a mission for the Church that would last the next ten years, taking him to England (including Sherborne and London), Italy, and Switzerland. While on his mission he met a young German girl by the name of Esther Charlotte Emily Wiesbrodt (1836-1913), whom he converted and married on 1 July 1857. Francis continued to serve as a missionary after he was married and was finally released when he and his family immigrated to Utah in 1860. They eventually settled in Morgan County where he served as Justice of the Peace, County Clerk and Recorder, Probate Judge, and County Attorney. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1858, then was elected to the territorial legislature for four terms and was a member of the Constitutional Convention when Utah was admitted to the Union. He served in the Stake Presidency of the Morgan Stake and later as Stake Patriarch. He died on 26 May 1906.
3 folders (0.25|flinear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Bryce Rogers.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Switzerland--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Italy--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--England--History
- Francis, Esther Charlotte Emily Weisbrodt, 1836-1913
- Missions and Missionaries
- Morgan County (Utah) -- History
- Mormon missionaries -- England -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Italy -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Switzerland -- Diaries
- Sherborne (Dorset, England) -- History -- Sources
- Francis, Samuel (Person)
- Register of Samuel Francis journal
- Amy Perez
- 2011 March 16
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States