William F. Hanson papers
Scope and Contents
Indian opera productions composed by Hanson, musical scores, research material, and scrapbooks and photos based on ceremonies and music of the Ute Indians of Colorado and Utah. Operas included are: "Sun Dance," produced in New York City, 1938, "Bear Dance," and "The Bleeding Heart," a white man's fantasy of an imaginary Indian people who lived at the base of Mount Timpanogos in Utah.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from William F. Hanson papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
William F. Hanson (1887-1969) was a specialist in music of the American Indians, composer, and teacher of music at the Brigham Young University.
11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Folder-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS299.xml
Arts and Communications.
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Brigham Young University -- Songs and music
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty--History
- Brigham Young University. Department of Music
- Material Types
- Mormons -- Songs and music -- History and criticism
- Musicians -- Utah -- History
- Ute Indians
- Register of William F. Hanson papers
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 March 22
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: box 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize: 1 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States