John Alden Green papers
Scope and Contents
Includes research notes about the works of Marcel Schwob concerning the Dreyfus Affair, photocopies, correspondence, journal and newspaper articles concerning French history, circa 1890-1906, and the Panama Scandal of 1889. Also included are photocopied articles on the "last days" by Wilford Woodruff and Internet references of the early visions of Mormon Church prophet Joseph Smith. There are also some research notes regarding Germany in World War II and an annotated set of LDS Church scripture (Triple Combination) in French.
- approximately 1981-1999
- Green, John Alden (creator, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials in English and French.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Alden Green papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
John Alden Green (1925-2001) was a professor of French at Brigham Young University. Green studied the writings of the French author, Marcel Schwob, related to the Dreyfus Affair (French military scandal, 1894-1906.) In 1980, Green suffered a stroke and never permanently recovered.
1 carton (1 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2361.xml
All items were kept by Green's widow until donated to the L. Tom Perry Special Collections in 2002.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Doctrines
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Dreyfus, Alfred, 1859-1935
- France -- Politics and government -- 19th century -- Sources
- Nantes (France) -- History -- Sources
- Panama -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Research (Documents)
- Schwob, Marcel, 1867-1905
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany
- Register of John Alden Green papers
- Andrea Wyss
- 2011 April 6
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.