LaFayette C. and Pearl M. Lee collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains (1) the journals of LaFayette C. Lee and Pearl M. Lee during and after their mission to Japan; (2) photocopies of several nineteenth-century items, including photographs and a Nauvoo receipt; and (3) photocopies of a photo album from mission to Japan, 1915-1919.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
LaFayette C. Lee, son of Milton LaFayette Lee and Mary Elizabeth Cox, was born July 31, 1894. He married Augusta Pearl Mortensen on May 26, 1915. He served a mission to Japan with his wife from 1915-1917. He died on February 18, 1975. (Augusta) Pearl Mortensen Lee was born August 21, 1893, daughter of James (or Jens) Mortensen and Ida Jane Pease. She and LaFayette had seven children. She died on November 29, 1959.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2313.xml
The collection was donated to the Brigham Young University Library on October 9, 2000.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Erica Lee.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Several of the items have been removed and transferred to Photo Archives or made it into a separate collection. The Nauvoo Legion receipt has been made into a separate collection, under VMSS 800.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Japan Mission -- Photographs
- Electronic books
- Hinckley (Utah) -- History
- Lee, LaFayette C. (Lafayette Cox), 1894-1975 -- Diaries
- Lee, LaFayette C. (Lafayette Cox), 1894-1975 -- Photographs
- Lee, Pearl M. (Pearl Mortensen), 1893-1959 -- Diaries
- Lee, Pearl M. (Pearl Mortensen), 1893-1959 -- Photographs
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Japan
- Mormon missionaries -- Japan
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- Register of LaFayette C. and Pearl M. Lee collection
- Rose Frank
- 9 March 2011
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.