Vernon H. Jensen painting of student residence in Provo, Utah
Scope and Contents
Framed image depicting a small dwelling with a young man lying on the ground in front, holding a book. The structure, located near the campus of Brigham Young University, was called the Granary. A number of students who were involved in literary pursuits at the university lived in the Granary and nearby dwellings.
- approximately 1958
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Vernon H. Jensen painting of student residence in Provo, Utah must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Vernon H. Jensen was a student at Brigham Young University.
1 art original ; 45 x 61 cm
Language of Materials
Jensen gave the painting to Alfred L. Bush shortly after completing it. Bush kept it until January 2001, when he donated it to BYU with an explanatory note: "The Granary--a small structure behind Librarian Lucille Thorne's house on 1st East? in Provo which was the focus of a literary community at B.Y.U. in the late 1950s. Alfred Bush, poetry editor of the Wye magazine, lived in The Granary. Next door lived David Warfield Stires, . . . Douglas Kent Hall . . . , Lorraine Taylor, Richard Pope, Klaus Hansen, etc. Besides the Wye magazine, members of the group also published The Bunbury magazine and Humpribs and Tenderloin, among other unofficial BYU publications."
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Alfred L. Bush; 2001.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Brigham Young University -- Students
- Brigham Young University -- Student housing
- Brigham Young University -- Societies, etc.
- Brigham Young University -- Periodicals
- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Provo (Utah)
- Colleges and Universities
- Fine Arts
- Register of Vernon H. Jensen painting of student residence in Provo, Utah
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 September 16
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.