J. LaVar Bateman papers
Scope and Contents
Contains papers, in paper and plastic binders, documenting BYU forum assembly speakers, 1965-1977, including Bateman's commentaries on specific speakers, 1966-1973; speech and communications classes that he taught; the Speech Communication area of the Department of Speech and Dramatic Arts, 1959-1985 (department and area names varied during this period); the University Speaker's Bureau, 1966-1975; and the BYU Emeritus Club, 1991-1992. Includes outlines, correspondence, news clippings, teaching resource materials, copies of minutes, a few photographs, vita information on LaVar Bateman, and other papers. Also includes a short history of the BYU Emeritus Club, written by Ed Butterworth.
- approximately 1947-1999
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the J. LaVar Bateman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Professor of speech at Brigham Young University, 1949-1985; chairman, University Speaker's Bureau, 1956-1973; chairman, Forum Assemblies Committee, 1966-1973; chairman, Department of Communications, 1982-1985.
4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Contains papers documenting BYU forum assembly speakers. Also includes outlines, correspondence, news clippings, teaching resource materials, copies of minutes, a few photographs, vita information on LaVar Bateman, and other papers. Also includes a short history of the BYU Emeritus Club, written by Ed Butterworth.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2143.xml
Donated by J. LaVar Bateman, August 1998 to January 2000.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; J. LaVar Bateman; 1998-2000.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Personal papers of students, faculty, staff which relate to the university's work.
Processed; Brian D. Reeves (University Archivist) and Joshua A. Howard (Student Intern); May 2000.
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty
- Brigham Young University -- Alumni and alumnae
- Brigham Young University. Speech and Dramatic Arts Department (1967-1975)
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Colleges and Universities
- Histories (Literary works)
- Minutes (Records)
- Religious gatherings -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Register of the J. LaVar Bateman papers, circa 1947-1999
- Brian D. Reeves and Joshua A. Howard
- May 2000
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008