Edward F. Stevens missionary journal and family newsletter
Scope and Contents note
This collection consists of three folders: the journal of Edward F. Stevens, who served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church); a photocopy of the journal; and a copy of the Stevens’s family newsletter. The newsletter has a descriptive biographical sketch of Edward F. Stevens.
Conditions Governing Access note
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use note
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Edward F. Stevens missionary journal and family newsletter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Edward F. Stevens (1874-1944) was called to serve an LDS mission to the Southern States in June of 1895 and served for 38 months. He was a schoolteacher in Utah and also served as Justice of the Peace in his town.
Edward Franklin Stevens was born on November 14, 1874, in Holden, Millard County, Utah, the first son of Edward Stevens and Mettie Johanna Stephenson. As a child, he went to school and was known as something of a cowboy. He attended Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah, registered in the School of Business. His cousin, David, described him as being very bashful around girls, and he did not mix well with them while in Provo. Despite this shyness, however, he quickly became interested in a girl from Scipio, named Emma Maud(e) Robins, who often came to Holden to visit her uncle who lived there.
Edward left Utah on June 25, 1895 to serve in the Southern States Mission, which included Alabama and Mississippi, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was one of the first younger men to be called to serve a mission, as most missionaries had previously been older men. He served for 38 months. Soon after he returned home to Utah, he married Emma Robins, who had waited for him while he served his mission. They were married in the LDS Salt Lake Temple on September 14, 1898. Together they had eight children.
Edward took a position teaching school in Holden with a salary of $45 a month. During the summers he farmed with his father, and in 1915, his father divided his farm land among his three sons and Edward received the southern portion of Whitebush Farm. He also served as Justice of the Peace for several years, as well as president of the first town board of Holden, along with many other positions within the town.
Edward’s health began to fail him when he contracted a severe disease that affected the Whitebush cattle herd in the winter of 1943-44. Edward Stevens died on April 27, 1944.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
This collection contains a journal written by Edward F. Stevens during his LDS mission to the Southern States, 1896-1898, and a photocopy of the journal. It also contains a family newsletter of the Stevens family, from 1978.
Other Finding Aids note
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2080.xml
Custodial History note
Donated by R. Stanley Hall in December 1997.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Donated; R. Stanley Hall; December 1997.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Processing Information note
Processed; David J. Whittaker and Judi Crisp; 2001.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Southern States Mission
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Southern States
- Mormon missionaries -- Southern States
- Southern States
- Stevens family
- Stevens, Edward F. (Edward Franklin), 1874-1944 -- Diaries
- Register of the Edward F. Stevens missionary journal and family newsletter
- David J. Whittaker and Judi Crisp; Benjamin Sipes
- 2001; 2011 March 18
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008