L. Weston Oaks papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, notes, booklets, newspaper clippings, newsletters, photographs, drawings and publications relating to Oaks's family, religious activities, and professional life as a medical doctor. Included are files relating to his work with St. Christopher's Mission to the Navajo at Bluff, Utah, and his part in the creation of a new public health program for the American Indians. Correspondents include United States congressmen from Utah, Senator Arthur V. Watkins and Representative Henry Aldous Dixon; "Improvement Era" editors; and various family members.
- Dixon, Henry Aldous (Person)
- St. Christopher's Mission to the Navajo (Bluff, Utah) (Organization)
- Oaks, L. Weston (Lewis Weston), 1892- (Person)
- Watkins, Arthur V. (Arthur Vivian), 1886-1973 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
Lewis Weston Oaks graduated from Brigham Young University in 1915, and received his M.D. degree in 1919 at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He specialized in eye, ear, nose, and throat, from 1920 to 1969 in Provo, Utah. He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
1 carton (1 linear ft.)
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Finding aid available in repository.
Other Finding Aids
Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1968.xml
Papers donated by Oaks family through Janet Francis and Carol Oaks. Received in Special Collections and Manuscripts in October 1979 and November 1992.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Janet Francis and Carol Oaks, Gift, 1979 and 1992.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Bluff (Utah)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Dixon, Henry Aldous -- Correspondence
- Improvement era
- Material Types
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- Navajo Indians -- History
- Oaks, L. Weston (Lewis Weston), 1892- -- Archives
- Physicians -- United States -- History
- Provo (Utah)
- Public health
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- St. Christopher's Mission to the Navajo (Bluff, Utah)
- Watkins, Arthur V. (Arthur Vivian), 1886-1973 -- Correspondence
- Register of L. Weston Oaks papers
- Jennier Kim
- 2011 September 14
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.