Lydia Susanna Goaslind Purnell papers
Scope and Contents
Handwritten and typewritten correspondence, histories, biographies, genealogical group sheets, patriarchal blessings, diaries, and land indentures in Idaho. The correspondence are between Purnell, her husband, and other relatives and deal largely with family matters. One of the letters is an account of the Battle of Bear River in 1863 by an observer. Purnell also writes to many persons about family history. Purnell also writes about being a polygamous wife and the various persecutions by federal officials relating to the practice. Also included are biographies and genealogies of the family.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon woman who lived in Utah, Idaho, and Canada.
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Clair Nelson; 1976.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Bear River Massacre, Idaho, 1863 -- History
- Histories (Literary works)
- Home and Family
- Mormon women -- Canada -- History
- Mormon women -- Idaho -- History
- Mormon women -- Utah -- History
- Mormons -- History
- Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church) -- History
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Polygamy -- West (U.S.) -- History -- Sources
- Purnell, Lydia Susanna Goaslind, 1859-1942
- Social Life and Customs
- Register of Lydia Susanna Goaslind Purnell papers
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 19
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States