James G. Bleak diaries and letters
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of handwritten diaries and correspondence. Bleak's diaries cover the years 1864, 1869-1895 with a gap for parts of 1885 and for 1886. Bleak writes about his daily activities in St. George and in Santa Clara, Utah, about his activities while serving on the Southern Indian Mission, about his callings for the Mormon Church, and about his relationships with various leaders of the Mormon Church including Brigham Young (1801-1877), Jacob Hamblin (1819-1886), Erastus Snow (1818-1886), and George Albert Smith (1817-1875). The materials include information on affairs with Indians and also on matters relating to the United Order, an experiment in communal living conducted my the Mormons in the nineteenth century. The letters are largely from prominent Mormon Church leaders.
- Bleak, James G. (James Godson), 1829-1918 (Author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from James G. Bleak diaries and letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mormon Church leader, missionary, and pioneer who lived and worked in southern Utah.
4 boxes (20 linear inches)
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Transcriptions available in Boxes 5-6.
- Bleak, James G. (James Godson), 1829-1918
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--History
- Hamblin, Jacob, 1819-1886
- Hopi Indians -- History
- Indians of North America -- Arizona -- History
- Mormon missionaries -- Arizona -- History -- Sources
- Mormons -- Utah -- Saint George -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Santa Clara -- History
- Navajo Indians -- History
- Smith, George Albert, 1817-1875
- Snow, Erastus Fairbanks, 1818-1888
- United orders (Mormon Church) -- History
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of James G. Bleak diaries and letters
- Lucy Brimhall
- 2013 February 27
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.