Mitchell A. Dodge papers on the Menominee Indian Tribe
Scope and Contents
Consists of correspondence, government documents, legal files and documents, notes, newspaper clippings, and other records documenting the activities of Dodge as a representative of the Menominee Tribe in their dealings with the United States government, between approximately 1945 and 1980. Deals especially with the issue of their termination as a recognized tribe in the 1960s and their restoration in the 1970s, as well as the legal case Menominee Indian Tribe v. United States that went to the Supreme Court. Many of the materials are records of congressional hearing and bills related to the Menominee Tribe. Also includes personal financial documents.
- Dodge, Mitchell A., 1904-1998 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Mitchell A. Dodge papers on the Menominee Indian Tribe must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Mitchell A. Dodge (1904-1998) was a tribal representative for the Menominee Indian Tribe.
Mitchell Aloysius Dodge, 1904-1998, is the son of Mitchell A. Dodge and Josephine Fish of Neopit, Menominee, Wisconsin. He married Marion Josephine Kelly in 1928 in Chicago, Illonois. Dodge kept and maintained the legal and tribal files of the Menominee Indian Tribe. He was a member of the tribe.
1 oversize folder (0.1 linear ft.)
14 cartons (14 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Box-level inventory available in the repository upon request.
Donated to L. Tom Perry Special Collections by Mary E. Dodge in 1980 and 1987.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Mary E. Dodge; 1980, 1987.
Ethnic and minority history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy II.B.5.IV).
Processed; John M. Murphy, curator, and Amanda C. Clark, student processor; January 2008.
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Annual reports
- Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce
- Civil Procedure and Courts
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Dodge, Mitchell A., 1904-1998 -- Archives
- Fisheries and Wildlife
- Forestry and Logging
- Legal instruments
- Legislative hearings
- Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin -- Legal documents
- Politics, Government, and Law
- Public records
- Register of the Mitchell A. Dodge papers on the Menominee Indian Tribe
- Amanda C. Clark
- January 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Carton: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- oversize-folder: 15 (Graphic Materials)
- Carton: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Carton: 14 (Mixed Materials)