George Washington Bean diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten diaries, two autobiographies, account books, patriarchal blessings, biographies of family members, and Bean family history and genealogy. Bean writes about his early life and migration to Utah; his work as an Indian interpreter from 1852 to 1853; his pursuit of the Ute chief, Walker, in 1854; his Indian mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Las Vegas, Nevada from 1855 to 1856; his life in Provo, Utah; his participation in the Black Hawk Indian War; and his work as a patriarch for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. With the collection are photocopies of Books 1, 3, 6, and 7 of the diaries. Also included are a "Book of William Cluff" and a "Family Record of George Washington Bean." These materials were photocopied from the 920 microfilm collection.
- Bean, George Washington, 1831-1897 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from George Washington Bean diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Probate judge in Provo and Richfield, Utah; county assessor and collector; deputy United States marshall; farmer; Utah legislator; prosecuting attorney, and member of the Utah Militia.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.) : (9 v. : 33p.) (6 folders : ca 300 p.)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Iris Marcroft; 1975.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Formerly in film call number: 920 no. 10.
- Bean, Elizabeth Baum, 1834-1916
- Bean, Emily Haws, 1836-1908
- Bean, George Washington, 1831-1897 -- Diaries
- Bean, Mary Jane Wall, 1841-1891
- Bean, Willard Washington, 1868-1949
- Biography -- 19th century
- Black Hawk War (Utah), 1865-1872
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Cluff, William Wallace, 1832-1915
- Indians of North America -- Nevada -- Las Vegas -- History
- Material Types
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon pioneers -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church) -- History
- Provo (Utah) -- History
- Richfield (Utah) -- History
- Utah. Militia -- History
- Ute Indians -- Wars -- History
- Register of George Washington Bean diaries
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 March 11
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States