Skip to main content

Milo James Ross papers, 1943-2012

 File — Carton: 148, Folder: 21
Identifier: MSS 2350 Series 6 Sub-Series 1

Scope and Contents

Materials pertaining to the military service of Milo James Ross in the United States Army during World War II in New Guinea and Luzon. Contains printed ephemera, letters, discharge papers, military orders, and newspaper clippings all dated between 1943-2012.


  • 1943-2012


Conditions Governing Access

Open for public research.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Saints at War Project records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.

Biographical History

Milo James Ross (1921-2014) was a World War II veteran who fought in the Pacific battles.

Milo Ross was born February 4, 1921 just north of Plain City, Utah to John Jack William Ross and Ethel Sharp Ross. When Milo was barely four, his mother passed away in childbirth. Milo and his siblings were cared for by their maternal grandparents until financial strains forced Milo to be raised by his uncle, Edward Sharp, in Plain City, Utah. He grew up farming with his cousins and attended the local schools, eventually graduating from Weber High in 1939. In 1940, at a Plain City celebration, Milo met Gladys Maxine Donaldson and two years later, on April 4, 1942, they were married in her parents’ home in Ogden, Utah. The October of that same year, Milo enlisted in the United States Army at Fort Douglas, Utah, becoming a member of the 33rd Infantry Division, 130th Regiment, Company C. After training they were sent to Needles, California handling freight, setting up tents and digging trenches and then on to Hawaii for further training. When they arrived in Hawaii, on July 4, 1943, Ross was informed his son, Milo Paul, had been born that very same day. Ross’s company was assigned to become part of the Philippine invasion force where they fought in New Guinea and Luzon. They fought through the jungles, liberated Baguio City, was present at the Japanese surrender in Luzon in June 1945, and left Ross injured on five separate occasions.

Milo Ross was honorably discharged in September of 1945. He was honored with two Purple Hearts, the Silver Star, and the Presidential Citation for outstanding performance. Returning home, Milo worked remodeling homes. He also had two daughters: Judy Ethel and Caroline. Gladys and Milo solemnized their marriage July 2, 1976 in the Ogden Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Gladys died in 2004.

Milo James Ross died in Plain City, Utah on July 17, 2014 at the age of 93.


1 folder

Language of Materials