John L. Smith personal and family papers, 1792-1950
Scope and Contents
Contains priesthood blessing transcripts, legal documents, articles, letters, and other Smith family papers, dated 1792 to 1950.
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Photocopies available for public use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
Biographical / Historical
John Lyman Smith (1828-1898) was born November 17, 1828, in Potsdam, New York, to parents Clarissa Lyman and John Smith (brother of Joseph Smith Sr.). He was an early pioneer and missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Smith lived in various places (Ohio, Illinois, and Utah) that have historical significance to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served two missions in Switzerland and Italy.
John Lyman Smith held various church callings (mission president, patriarch, etc.) and state positions, such as Justice of the peace and Utah Territorial Legislature. He married Augusta Bowen Cleveland on July 9, 1845, in Nauvoo, Illinois. They had eight children. He passed away on February 21, 1898, in St. George, Utah.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopies of John L. Smith journals located in box 3 and box 4 folder 1, 2, and 4.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Apostles -- History
- Family histories
- Germany -- History
- Italy -- History
- Legal instruments
- Mormon Church -- Europe -- History
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Italy -- History
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Swiss and Italian
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Swiss, Italian, and German
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Switzerland -- History
- Mormon pioneers -- Utah -- History -- 19th century
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- History
- Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church)
- School of the Prophets
- Smith, George Albert, 1817-1875
- Smith, John L. (John Lyman), 1828-1898 -- Archives
- Smith, John, 1781-1854
- St. George Temple (Saint George, Utah)
- Switzerland -- History
- Utah. Legislature