McCune School of Music and Art student records
Scope and Contents
Contains student records (transcripts and registration documents) generated by the McCune School of Music and Art. Materials date from 1920 to 1952.
- McCune School of Music and Art (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the McCune School of Music and Art student records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The L.D.S. School of Music (1920-1924) was a private music school in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The L.D.S. School of Music was initially established as the Music Department of the Latter-day Saints University under B. Cecil Gates. In 1920 the president of the university, Guy C. Wilson, reorganized the department as a private music school. First located in the Gardo House, it was moved to the McCune Mansion in April 1921. The school also operated offices in the Historian's Office building and the Assembly Hall. The faculty provided junior college course instruction in piano, voice, violin, cello, drums, woodwinds, brass, music theory, drama, and dance. In 1924 the school was renamed the McCune School of Music and Art.
The McCune School of Music and Art (1924-1957) was a private school for music and art in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The McCune School of Music and Art was previously known as the L.D.S. School of Music, which was renamed in 1924. The school was located in the McCune Mansion in Salt Lake City, Utah, and initially offered junior college-level courses in music and dance. The school was accredited by the the National Association of Schools of Music in 1928, and an art program was started in 1939. However, in 1942 the administration began to reposition the school as a preparatory school of junior high and high school students. In 1952 the school became a branch of Brigham Young University. Due to problems with accreditation, it was disassociated with the university in 1956 and closed by the Church Board of Education in 1957.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Materials are arranged alphabetically.
Materials were created by the McCune School of Music and Art and transferred to the Brigham Young University Registrar's Office sometime after 1952 when the McCune School of Music and Art was merged with the university's Department of Music. The Registrar's Office transferred the materials to the University Archives in October 2013.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Registrar's Office; October 2013.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; December 2013.
- Register of the McCune School of Music and Art student records
- J. Gordon Daines III
- 18 December 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.