School of Music records
Scope and Contents
Materials include correspondence, memoranda, programs, reports, meeting minutes, and other materials concerning the School of Music, including class materials, faculty files, performing group files, and other general office files. Dated 1980-2001.
- Brigham Young University. School of Music (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the School of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Department of Music (1883-1998) became the School of Music.
The department of Music was organized in 1883 with Nettie Southworth as the first chair. Succeeding chairs have been Ottilie Maeser, John J. McClellan, Anthony C. Lund, Clair W. Reed, Florence Jepperson-Madsen, Robert Sauer, LeRoy J. Robertson, John R. Halliday, Crawford Gates, A. Harold Goodman, James A. Mason and K. Newell Dayley. Early in the history of the Brigham Young Academy, a choir was organized to provide appropriate music for religious gatherings. This choir stimulated other activities which later led to the development of the Music Department as a voluntary extracurricular activity for interested scholars. It eventually came to be a department as music made a major contribution to the cultural development of the school. One of the lasting traditions of Brigham Young University is its strong cultural emphasis and support of the fine arts. The strength of the school lies in its resources—students, faculty, facilities, and the university and community. BYU's School of Music is comprehensive, with 52 full-time and 58 part-time faculty teaching private instruction, ensembles, education, music theory, history, and conducting, plus other exciting fields of study. The Brigham Young University School of Music is accredited by NASM, the National Association of Schools of Music.
The School of Music (1998- ) functions under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University and provides undergraduate and graduate degrees in various musical fields.
The Department of Music was renamed in 1998 as the School of Music. The school offers degrees in the disciplines of: theory, analysis, aural development, keyboard, sight-singing skills, composition, history, literature, instrumental and vocal performance, conducting, and pedagogy. The school operates under a director who reports to the Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Directors have included David M. Randall (1998-2004), Dale E. Monson (2004-2009), and Kory Katseanes (2009- ).
8 cartons (8 linear ft.)
Arranged in ten series: 1. Office records. 2. Files on education. 3. Faculty records. 4. Records on performance groups and tours. 5. Committee records. 6. Administrative assistant files. 7. Production records. 8. Correspodence. 9. Development and endowment records. 10. Records on donors.
Transferred from Records Management in June 2008.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Records Management; June 2008.
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Processed; Elizabeth West; June 2008.
- Register of School of Music records
- Sarah Flinders
- 2013 July 17
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.