General Church Board of Education records
Scope and Contents
Contains records, including tape transcripts of Franklin L. West's narrative of the "history of the department of education of the LDS Church," relating to Brigham Young University, LDS Business College, and the Juarez and Kelsey academies. Also includes correspondence on candidates for Brigham Young University president. Dated approximately 1936 to 1966.
- approximately 1936-1966
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. General Church Board of Education (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Board of Trustees (creator, Organization)
- West, Franklin L. (Franklin Lorenzo Richards), 1885-1966 (contributor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 70 years from the end date of the administration, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Franklin L. West was born on February 1, 1885 in Ogden, Utah. He earned his B.S. from the Utah Agricultural College in 1904 and went on to earn his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1911. West became a physics professor at Utah Agricultural College and eventually became the dean of faculty there. From 1935 to 1937 West served as the second assistant in the general superintendency of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. In 1936 West was called to be the Commissioner of Church Education for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served in that position until 1954. West died on October 21, 1966, in Cottonwood, Salt Lake County, Utah.
The Brigham Young University Board of Trustees (est. 1903) is the highest administrative authority for Brigham Young University and acts as the final policy-making body of the University, holding the power to make all rules and regulations necessary for the government, continuance, and maintenance of the University.
The General Church Board of Education (1888-1953) governed the various schools and academies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Retained in original order.
Found in the stacks in January 2013.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Found; stacks; January 2013.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Former title: Franklin L. West papers
Processed; Joseph Wiest; January 2013.
Processed; Karen Glenn; October 2022. Inventory added.
- Brigham Young University -- Administration
- Brigham Young University -- Presidents
- Church Educational System (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Colleges and Universities
- Financial records
- Juárez Stake Academy (Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico)
- Kelsey Academy (Kelsey, Tex.)
- Mormon universities and colleges
- Register of General Church Board of Education records
- In Progress
- Rose Frank
- 2011 July 20
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2013 January: Addendum of 1 folder added to the collection scope and content and biographical notes revised; Joseph Wiest.
- 2013 October 21: Revised for DACS compliance; Sarah Flinders.
- 2022 October 27: Inventory added and collection re-housed; Karen Glenn.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US