Department of Chemistry records
Scope and Contents
Contains the general department files, the Production Department files, and files of the department chair and faculty of the Chemistry Department at Brigham Young University, dated 1927 to 1976. Includes faculty papers of Leo P. Vernon and Hugh W. Peterson.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Chemistry (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy. Photographs in folders 17 and 18 are condition restricted, items kept in cold storage.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
The Department of Chemistry was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. In 1921 the department became part of the College of Arts and Sciences, and was later transferred to the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences in 1954. In 1973, the department was moved into the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The department was disbanded in 1995 to form the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Department chairs included Charles E. Maw (1920-1945), Joseph K. Nicholes (1946-1956), H. Smith Broadbent (1955-1958), Keith P. Anderson (1958-1960); Albert D. Swenson (1960-1964); Loren C. Bryner (1964-1966); J. Rex Goates (1966-1968); K. LeRoi Nelson (1968-1972); Richard T. Hawkins (1973-1975); Eliot A. Butler (1975-1978); Nolan F. Mangelson (Acting Chair 1978-80, Chair 1980-1981); J. Bevan Ott (1981-1990); and Earl M. Woolley (1990-1994).
16 boxes (8 linear ft.)
2 folders (0.04 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged in nine series: 1. Department of Chemistry chair general records, 1948-1965. 2. Department of Chemistry chair records, 1947-1956. 3. Department of Chemistry chair records, 1951-1961. 4. Department of Chemistry chair records, 1957-1961. 5. Department of Chemistry chair records, 1958-1963. 6. Department of Chemistry chair records, 1961-1964. 7. Production Department records, 1933-1976. 8. Leo P. Vernon faculty papers, approximately 1950-1960. 9. Hugh W. Peterson faculty papers, 1927-1962.
Transferred from the Brigham Young University Department of Chemistry in 1989.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Brigham Young University Department of Chemistry; 1989.
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Processed; Hollis Scott.
Processed; Karen Glenn; File-level inventory added.
- Administrative records
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty
- Brigham Young University. Department of Chemistry -- Archives
- Business records
- Chemical engineering
- Chemistry -- Study and teaching -- Utah -- Provo
- Chemistry -- Study and teaching -- Utah -- Provo -- History
- Colleges and Universities
- Research (Documents)
- Register of Department of Chemistry records
- Under Revision
- James Cloward
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008