General Church Board of Education minutes
Scope and Contents
Contains a mixture of volumes and folders, both bound and loose papers, of the General Church Board of Education meeting minutes from 1879 to 1970.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. General Church Board of Education (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 70 years from the end date of the administration, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at email@example.com.
In order to govern various academies established by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Church created the General Church Board of Education in 1888. Today the Church Educational System (CES) is governed by the Church Board of Education for seminaries, institutes, and elementary and secondary schools, and by boards of trustees for each of the institutions of higher education. Board members include the First Presidency, three members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, the Senior President of the Seventy, the Relief Society general president, and the Young Women general president.
2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Early minutes of the Church Board of Education were photocopied by the Centennial History Committee between 1972 and 1974. Minute books from university units were also transcribed and assembled in the 1970s. Later Board of Education minutes were produced during the Wilkinson Administration, with copies likely retained by Clyde Sandgren as secretary. These materials were found in January 2009 and processed as a single collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Found; University Archivist; January 2009.
Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Processed; Kayla Quinney; January 2009.
- Brigham Young University -- Administration -- History
- Church Educational System
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Education -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. General Church Board of Education -- Archives
- Colleges and Universities
- Minutes (Records)
- Register of the General Church Board of Education minutes
- Kayla Quinney
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.