Department of Political Science records
Scope and Contents
Consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, student papers, student files, syllabi, self-studies, and reports of the Department of Political Science about political science classes ans research, and administartive activities with the Department of Political Science from 1969 to 2007.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Political Science (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Department of Government (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Department of Political Science (1921-1979) (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Political Science records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Department of Political Science (1921-1979) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Political Science was established in 1921 as part of the division of the earlier Department of History and Political Science, and was initially associated with both the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Commerce and Business Administration. The department was responsible for student instruction in the areas of political theory, politics, public administration, comparative government, and international law and relations. In 1954 the department was moved to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, then in 1966 to the College of Social Sciences. The department was reorganized in 1979 and renamed the Department of Government.
Department chairs in political science included chairs, Christen Jensen (1921-1923, and 1936-1948), Thomas C. Romney (1924-1928), Russel B. Swensen (1950-1954), Russel B. Swensen (1954-1955), Richard D. Poll (1955-1957), Stewart L. Grow (1957-1961), Mark W. Cannon (1961-1964), Jesse W. Reeder (1964-1966), John T. Bernhard (1966-1968), Edwin B. Morrell (1968-1970), and Ray C. Hillam (1970-1979).
The Department of Government (1979-1982) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Government was formed in 1979 in a reorganization of the earlier Department of Political Science. The unit was responsible for student instruction in the areas of political science, public policy, and justice administration. In 1981 the department was moved from the College of Social Sciences to the newly formed College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences. Then, in 1982 the department was again reorganized as the Department of Political Science.
The department chair was F. LaMond Tullis (1981-1982).
36 boxes (18 linear ft.)
15 cartons (15 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged in six series: 1. Correspondence and meeting minutes. 2. Department of Government senior papers and files. 3. Student papers. 4. Syllabi. 5. Self-studies. 6. Reports.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1200.xml
Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2005 and 2010. Additional materials placed in collection in 2014.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Records Management; 2005.
Transferred; Records Management; March 2010.
Found; University Archives; April 2014.
University records (University Archives Collecting Policy, February 2010).
Processed; Amanda Jo Lindell; August 2005.
Processed; Kayla Quinney; April 2010.
Processed; Sarah Markle; May 2014.
- Register of Department of Political Science records
- Amanda Jo Lindell and Kayla Quinney
- August 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- 2014 May 22: An addendum (one folder) was added by Sarah Markle.