Brigham Young University quarterly catalogs
Scope and Contents
Contains copies of the University's quarterly catalogue for each semester. The quarterlies contain a history of the university and of the departments and schools individually. They give a description of the courses offered that quarter along with general information on registration and, fees, and graduation. The same is given for both summer school and the home study program. The assorted quarterly catalogues for the various departments and schools of the university are similar to the general edition. These give more detailed information concerning the specific department or school. Course catalogues and schedules are included along with special historical or commemorative editions of the quarterly. The special editions generally commemorate important individuals or events that contributed significantly to the growth and success Brigham Young University. The bound volumes are compiled collections of select loose volumes and generally cover a span of years.
- Brigham Young University (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Brigham Young University quarterly catalogs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Brigham Young University traces its roots to Utah's rich pioneer heritage. The original school, Brigham Young Academy, was established Oct. 16, 1875, on a little over one acre of land in what is now downtown Provo. At that time, Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, charged that all secular learning at the institution should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Speaking to Academy Principal Karl G. Maeser, President Young said, "Brother Maeser, I want you to remember that you ought not to teach even the alphabet or the multiplication tables without the Spirit of God." BYU has remained true to that original charge. Despite steady growth during its early years, the academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities located on University Avenue. The academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University. Work began in 1909 on the Maeser Memorial Building, the first of many structures on the university's present site. Successive university administrations oversaw the university's progressive growth, increasing both the number of buildings and the size of the student body. The university's academic development was signified by the inauguration of the school's first doctoral program in 1957. With the help of committed presidents, the university continued to grow, refine its mission and pursue excellence in academics and faith. Today, under the leadership of President Cecil O. Samuelson, the university remains dedicated to the integration of academic excellence with faith in Jesus Christ and His restored gospel.
14 boxes (7 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Finding Aid available in Special Collection and online.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1102.xml
Found in University Archives stacks April 2004.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
- Register of Brigham Young University quarterly catalogs
- Jennifer Kim
- 2011 August 31
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.