Motion Picture Studio stills
Scope and Contents
Contains photographs, slides, negatives, and contact print sheets from eight Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio productions. Films represented in the collection include: How Rare a Possession (1987), Seeds of Destiny (1987), The Three Witnesses (1968), Restoration of the Priesthood (1982), The First Vision (1975), The Coming Forth of the Book of Mormon (undated), That They Might Have Joy (undated), and The Lost Manuscript (1974). Collection also includes a BYU football poster photograph and a computer disk. Dated 1968-1987.
- Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Negatives: Condition restricted; permission to use items must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research. Items kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Motion Picture Studio stills must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.
Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.
Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.
In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 half box ((0.25 linear ft.) )
Language of Materials
Borrowed by the Church Office Building Ensign Magazine Office, then returned to Brigham Young University in 1996.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Returned; Church Office Building Ensign Magazine; 1996.
Administration (University Archives Collection Development Policy, V.b.v.2.a, October 2015).
Processed; Tom Wells; 2006.
- Register of Motion Picture Studio stills
- Lucas J. Chehda
- 2012 March 29
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2013 May 30: Updated for DACS compliance by Sarah Flinders.