Laboratory School parent-teacher association records, 1940-1968
Scope and Contents note
Contains meeting minutes, expenditures, correspondence, reports, policy and procedure, constitutions, patron lists, and treasurer's record. Dates range from 1940-1968.
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Laboratory School records must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Laboratory School (1955-1968) was established as a service unit in the College of Education to prepare students in the college to teach as well as improve educational programs.
The Laboratory School was established under the College of Education and existed within the college until its operation was discontinued in 1968. During its years of operation, the directors/coordinators of the Laboratory School were as follows: Percy E. Burrup, Asahel D. Woodruff, Avard A. Rigby, Edwin A. Read, and Lowell D. Thomson.
The Laboratory School was the administering body for the Elementary Laboratory School and the Secondary Laboratory School which consisted of a junior high school and Brigham Young High School. The dean of the College of Education was the chief administrator followed by the director or coordinator of the Laboratory School.
The Laboratory School created an environment for high-level instruction for observations and experiments in the Elementary and Secondary Laboratory Schools while performing research in child development, learning, social processes, and educational programs in a university setting. Athletic and social programs were also provided for students attending the Secondary Laboratory School to allow them to progress in character.
The College of Education (1921-1997) oversaw various programs for future educators at Brigham Young University.
The College of Education, previously known as the School of Education, was created in 1921 from by the newly appointed President Harris. The organization was created to qualify students to be supervisors, elementary teachers, high school instructors, or high school principals under the Church and State school systems. The four main purposes were outlined as: (1) Preparing teachers for public and private schools. (2) Providing graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech/language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers. (3) Offering research-based graduate programs. (4) Researching educational processes and issues. Deans and acting deans of the College included John C. Swenson (1921-1924), L. John Nuttall (1924-1930), Amos N. Merrell (1930-1946), Asahel D. Woodruff (1955-1961), A. John Clarke (1961-1962), Antone K. Romney (1962-1970), Stephen L. Alley (1970-1974), Curtis N. Van Alfen (1974-1985), Ralph B. Smith (1985-1989), Dan W. Andersen (1989-1993), and Robert S. Patterson (1993-1997).
Brigham Young University (est. 1903) is a university sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Provo, Utah.
Brigham Young University was established in 1903 in a renaming of Brigham Young Academy. Past and present Brigham Young University presidents include George H. Brimhall (1903-1921), Franklin S. Harris (1921-1945), Howard S. McDonald (1945-1949), (acting president) Christian Jensen (1949-1951), Ernest L. Wilkinson (1951-1971), Dallin H. Oaks (1971-1980), Jeffrey R. Holland (1980-1989), Rex E. Lee (1989-1995), Merrill J. Bateman (1996-2003), and Cecil O. Samuelson (2003- ).
Brigham Young University is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of the Church Educational System (CES). The university is governed by a Board of Trustees, which, since 1939, has consisted of the First Presidency of the Church as well as other General Authorities or general officers of the Church appointed by the First Presidency. The Board of Trustees provides general direction and oversees the formulation of broad policies as well as the approval of all executive leadership and faculty appointments at the university. The Board of Trustees delegates to the University President the responsibility to conduct the operations of the institution and administer the policies enacted by the board. The President serves as the chief executive officer and general manager of the University. Since 1996, the President of the university has also been a General Authority of the Church.
Brigham Young University has grown from a small academy to one of the world's largest private universities. Sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU offers a unique educational environment that promotes learning by study and also by faith.
Brigham Young Academy (1875-1903) was established by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints under the direction of Brigham Young for the instruction of church members in the area of Provo Utah.
Brigham Young Academy was the predecessor to Brigham Young University and Brigham Young High School. Brigham Young saw the school as a place where all secular learning should be fused with teachings from the scriptures. Despite steady growth during its early years, the Academy was threatened by a series of financial and physical setbacks. With the help and sacrifice of Abraham O. Smoot, the campus moved in 1891 to new facilities on University Avenue in Provo Utah. The Academy's curriculum strengthened and enrollment grew. In 1903, the name was officially changed to Brigham Young University.
Brigham Young Academy principals included Warren N. Dusenberry (1876), Karl G. Maeser (1876-1892), and Benjamin Cluff (1892-1903).
Wallace E. Allred (1932-) was the chairman of the Department of Secondary Education at Brigham Young University.
Wallace E. Allred was born April 26, 1932. Allred went on to become chairman of the Department of Secondary Education at Brigham Young University from 1984-1985. He has resided for many years in Orem, Utah.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA564.xml
- Allred, Wallace E., 1932-
- Brigham Young High School (Provo, Utah)
- Brigham Young University. Laboratory School
- Colleges and Universities
- Commencement ceremonies -- Utah -- Salt Lake City
- Elementary and Secondary Education
- Hart, Anna Boss, 1902-1980
- Minutes (Records)
- Read, Edwin A.
- Romney, Antone K. (Antone Kimball), 1902-1982
- Thompson, Lowell D.