College of Fine Arts records on General College, 1963-1983
Scope and Contents
Contains administrative files, including correspondence and memos, meeting minutes, reports, financial information, and news clippings.
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the College of Fine Arts and Communications records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The College of Fine Arts was organized in 1925 with Gerrit de Jong, Jr., as the first dean. He remained dean until 1959 when he was succeeded by Conan Mathews. In 1963 the college became the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Mathews retired in 1966 and was succeeded by Clawson Cannon who served one year as acting dean until the appointment of Lorin F. Wheelright as dean in 1967. He served as dean until 1974 when he was succeeded by Lael J. Woodbury who was succeeded in 1982 by the current dean, James A. Mason. Currently, the college consists of the departments of Art, Communications, Design, Music, and Theatre and Cinematic Arts.
Serial file types (budgets, minutes, etc.) are generally in chronological or reverse-chronological order.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA666.xml
- Brigham Young University. College of Fine Arts and Communications (Creator, Organization)
- Woodbury, Lael J. (Lael Jay), 1927-2013 (Contributor, Person)