Skip to main content

David O. McKay School of Education records on associations, 1971-2002

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 700 Series 5

Scope and Contents

Contains records relating to various organizations associated with the College of Education, namely the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Also includes information on the Public School Partnership (PSP), National Network for Educational Renewal (NNER), and the Center for Improvement of Teacher Education and Schooling (CITES). Materials date from 1971 to 2002.

Dates

  • 1971-2002

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 70 years from the end date of the administration, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the David O. McKay of Education Deans records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

From the Collection:

The College of Education (1921-1997) oversaw various programs for future educators at Brigham Young University.

The College of Education, previously known as the School of Education, was created in 1921 from by the newly appointed President Harris. The organization was created to qualify students to be supervisors, elementary teachers, high school instructors, or high school principals under the Church and State school systems. The four main purposes were outlined as: (1) Preparing teachers for public and private schools. (2) Providing graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech/language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers. (3) Offering research-based graduate programs. (4) Researching educational processes and issues. Deans and acting deans of the College included John C. Swenson (1921-1924), L. John Nuttall (1924-1930), Amos N. Merrell (1930-1946), Asahel D. Woodruff (1955-1961), A. John Clarke (1961-1962), Antone K. Romney (1962-1970), Stephen L. Alley (1970-1974), Curtis N. Van Alfen (1974-1985), Ralph B. Smith (1985-1989), Dan W. Andersen (1989-1993), and Robert S. Patterson (1993-1997).

Administrative History

From the Collection:

The David O. McKay School of Education (1997-) oversees various programs at Brigham Young University for future educators.

The David O. McKay School of Education, formerly called the College of Education, was formed in 1997. The organization's four purposes are outlined as: 1. To prepare teachers for public and private Schools; 2. To provide graduate programs for the preparation of school principals, counselors, school psychologists, curriculum supervisors, speech-language pathologists, clinical audiologists, and master teachers; 3. To offer research-based graduate programs; 4. To research educational processes and issues. Robert S. Patterson (1996-2003), K. Richard Young (2003-2013), and Mary Anne Prater (2013- ).

Extent

6 folders

24 cartons

Language of Materials

English