Skip to main content

Harold B. Lee Library reports and procedures, 1954-2007

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1242 Series 3

Scope and Contents

Contains a variety of reports regarding the Harold B. Lee Library from 1954-2007. Materials include annual reports, analyses, and self-study reports and procedural reports from various library departments and committees. Also contains records relating to the building of the J. Reuben Clark Library in 1962 and the 1974 addition. These materials include promotional material such as overheads, audio tracks, and copies of speeches made at the dedication. Additional materials include general reports and proposals relating to the organization of library departments, as well as a Reference Services manual with customer service procedures for library employees. Materials date from 1954 to 2007.

Dates

  • 1954-2007

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from the Reference Services at specialcollections@byu.edu.

Biographical / Historical

From the Collection:

The Brigham Young University Library (1925-1961) served as repository for the university collection of printed materials.

The university library was established in the Heber J. Grant building in 1925. The collections outgrew the Heber J. Grant building, necessitating the construction of the J. Reuben Clark Library, which was completed in 1961. Head librarians and directors of libraries were Anna K. Ollerton (1925-1948), Asael C. Lambert (1948-1951), Naomi Rich Earl (1951-1954), and S. Lyman Tyler (1954-1961).

Biographical / Historical

From the Collection:

The J. Reuben Clark, Jr. Library (1961-1973) served as the university library at Brigham Young University.

The library was renamed as the Clark Library in 1961, following the construction of a new library building. The library was later renamed as the Harold B. Lee Library in 1973. Library directors included S. Lyman Tyler (1961-1966) and Donald K. Nelson (1966-1973).

Biographical / Historical

From the Collection:

The Harold B. Lee Library (founded 1973) is the library on the campus of Brigham Young University, and is responsible for providing students and the community with valuable resources for research, media projects, and personal use.

The Harold B. Lee Library was aligned with Media Services under the Assistant Academic Vice President of Brigham Young University in 1973. In that same year, the J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Library was renamed the Harold B. Lee Library. Internally, the Harold B. Lee Library is managed by the library director, who is aided by an associate university librarian and assistant university librarians, who oversee divisions of the library. Directors have included Donald K. Nelson (1973-1980), Sterling J. Albrecht (1980-2002), Randy J. Olsen (2002-2009), Julene Butler (2010-2012), Scott Duvall (interim, 2012-2013), Jennifer Paustenbaugh (2013-2019), Brian Rennick (interim, 2019-2020), and (Rick Anderson, 2020- ). The library building was expanded in 1976 and 2000 and continues to provide students and faculty access to scholarly materials.

Extent

1 carton

30 boxes

5 folders

Language of Materials

English

Other Finding Aids

File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1242.xml

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US