Skip to main content

Extension Division director records, 1921-1954

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 547 Series 2

Scope and Contents

Contain the papers of Lowry Nelson, first director of the Extension Division, who served from 1921-1936. The papers encompass the period of 1921-1931 only. Some routine letters of requests and acknowledgments were weeded from the collection. Annual reports issued by Nelson, 1921-1936, appear in the first section of the register under the heading Division Reports and Comprehensive Histories. Also correspondence and reports relative to Leadership Week, 1922-1936, appear in the Education Week section of this register. Dated from 1921 to 1954.

Dates

  • 1921-1954

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.

Permission to publish material from the Division of Continuing Education records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Extension Division (1921-1957) was the unit at Brigham Young University responsible for coordinating distance education and extension work. The Extension Division was established in 1921 in a reorganization of the earlier Extension Department. It was charged with providing educational services to those outside the university campus, such as off-campus programs, lectures, classroom offerings, and correspondence courses. Directors of the division included Lowry Nelson (1921-1936), Harrison R. Merrill (1936-1939), Carlton Culmsee (1939-1944), Gerrit de Jong (Acting Director, 1944-1946), Thomas L. Broadbent (Acting Director, 1946-1947), and Harold Glen Clark (1947-1957). In 1957 the unit was renamed as Adult Education and Extension Services.

Biographical History

Lowry Nelson (1893-1986) was a sociology professor and academic administrator in Utah.

Lowry Nelson was born on April 16, 1893 in Ferron, Utah. He served as secretary to the president of Utah State Agricultural College from 1917 to 1919. In 1921 he became editor of the magazine Utah Farmer. From 1923-1934 he was BYU's Extension Divsion's director. In 1924 he married Florence Newell. In 1929 he also held the position of Dean of the College of Applied Science. In 1934 Dr. Nelson organized the social welfare division of the Utah Emergency Relief Administration. From 1937-1958 he was rural sociologist at the University of Minnesota. Nelson became a member of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Farm Tenancy Committee in 1936. He died in 1986.

Extent

2 boxes

Language

English