Franklin Stewart Harris business records and court case, 1947-1965
Scope and Contents
Materials include the testimony of Franklin S. Harris in Confederated Bands of Ute Indians vs. the United States, and business records of Franklin S. Harris. Dated 1947-1965.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Janet Jenson collection on Franklin Stewart Harris must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Franklin Stewart Harris (1884-1960) was President of Brigham Young University from 1921 to 1945. During that time he helped the university grow both physically, with adding new buildings and also intellectually by hiring more teachers and establishing international connections for the University.
Franklin Stewart Harris was born August 29, 1884 in Benjamin, Utah. He moved with his family to the state of Chihuahua, Mexico in the 1890s to the Mormon colonies there. He would study at Brigham Young University and go on to Cornell to receive his doctorate. Harris served as president of Brigham Young University from 1921 until 1945. His administration was characterized by improvement in academics and by growth of the University's physical facilities, such as the construction of the Heber J. Grant Library building. Even with the financial pressures of the Great Depression from the late 1920s to the 1930s, Harris was able to help increase Brigham Young University attendance, library and campus facilities.
In 1945 Harris left Brigham Young University to be the president of the Utah State Agricultural College (what is now Utah State University). He died April 18, 1960 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid may be found in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA1106.xml