Skip to main content

Division of Continuing Education general records, 1968-1986

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 817 Series 1

Scope and Contents

Contains the general records of the Division of Continuing Education, including reports, lectures, department files, and other materials relating to various activities and workshops. Materials dated 1968 to 1986.

Dates

  • 1968-1986

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at specialcollections@byu.edu.

Biographical / Historical

From the Collection:

Formerly known as the Adult Education and Extension Services (est. 1921), the Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education was renamed and redesigned in 1964. The division was designed to provide educational programs and services offered to regular university students to adults who do not have opportunities for day time study. Services offered range from off-campus programs, lectures, correspondence study, and community services — both through the off-campus centers and extended programs in wide geographic areas— to formal, on-campus classroom offerings, both credit and noncredit, extended and short-term in nature.

Departments within the Division of Continuing Education include the Bachelor of General Studies, Religious Enrichment, EFY Programs, Conferences and Workshops, Evening Classes, Independent Study, and the Salt Lake Center. Deans of the division have included Harold Glen Clark (1964-1973), Stanley A. Peterson (1973-1978), William R. Siddoway (1978-1986), Richard C. Eddy (1986-2009), and Wayne J. Lott (2009- ).

Extent

20 cartons

2 boxes

Language of Materials

English