Department of Chemical Engineering records
Scope and Contents
Contains correspondence within and without of the department, minutes from various meetings, budgets, faculty publications, reports, and information from the 10th North American Catalysis Society Meeting. Materials date from between 1951 and 2005.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Chemical Engineering (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Department of Chemical Engineering records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
The Department of Chemical Engineering (1977-2004) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
Chemical Engineering at Brigham Young University was officially initiated in 1955 with the renaming of the Department of Chemistry to the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. Only 1 full-time faculty member taught the chemical engineering courses at that time. In 1958, a separate Department of Chemical Engineering was formed, by this time with three faculty members. The undergraduate program was first accredited in 1961 and has been accredited ever since. A Masters degree in chemical engineering was approved in 1962, and the PhD program received approval in 1968.
The Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1977. Originally the Department of Chemical Engineering Science, the name was changed and the department was placed under the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology. The department offers professional training and degrees at the Bachelor's, Master's, and PhD levels, with the intention of creating new technologies and products to improve the quality of life.
Department chairs include Dee H. Barker (1978-1979), Richard W. Hanks (1979-1985), Douglas N. Bennion (1985-1991), Richard L. Rowley (1991-1996), Kenneth A. Solen (1996-2002) and W. Vincent Wilding (2002-2004).
67 boxes (33.5 linear ft.)
1 carton (1 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged into six series: 1. Department of Chemical Engineering historical records, 1986-2000. 2. Department of Chemical Engineering budget records, 1971-1977. 3. Department of Chemical Engineering course materials, 1951-2001. 4. Department of Chemical Engineering administrative and faculty records, 1964-2005. 5. North American Catalysis Society meeting records, 1986-1987. 6. Department of Chemical Engineering correspondence, 1965-1981.
Transferred from Records Management and found in the stacks, February 2007.
Transferred from Records Management and found in the stacks, May 2012
Transferred from Records Management and found in the stacks, July 2015.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Records Management; February 2007.
Found in the stacks; February 2007.
Transferred; Records Management; May 2012 Found in the stacks; May 2012.
Transferred; Records Management; July 2015 Found in the stacks; July 2015.
Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Processed; Matthew Leavitt; March 2007.
Processed; Eric Wolford; February 2016.
- Register of Department of Chemical Engineering records
- Matthew Leavitt
- 2007 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2016: Addendum added; Eric Wolford.