Multicultural Programs records
Scope and Contents
Contains department scrapbooks, photographs, including slides, contact sheets and negatives, of events conducted by the department and student organizations, and copies of the periodicals Eagle's Eye and Buffalo Hide. Materials dated 1960 to 1990.
- Brigham Young University. Multicultural Programs (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Multicultural Education Department (contributor, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Indian Education Department (contributor, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from the Reference Services at email@example.com.
Multicultural Programs (1985-1997) was an administrative unit at Brigham Young University.
The Multicultural Programs unit was established in 1985, in a reorganization of the earlier Multicultural Education Department. It was an advisement and support unit for multicultural students at the university, and advocated for them to other divisions. The unit was administered by Student Life under a director. In 1997, it was reorganized as Multicultural Student Services.
Directors included Max W. Swenson (1985-1989) and K. Rush Sumpter (1989-1997).
The Multicultural Education Department (1981-1985) was an administrative unit at Brigham Young University.
The Multicultural Education Department was established in 1981, in a merger of the earlier Indian Education Department and Minority Education, and operated as part of Nonmajor Programs in Student Life. The unit provided tutoring, counseling, financial assistance counseling, career and curriculum advisement, housing assistance, minority clubs, and personalized education to minority students. In September 1985, the unit was renamed and restructured as Multicultural Programs.
The Indian Education Department (1966-1981) was an academic and administrative unit at Brigham Young University.
The Indian Education Department was established in 1966 as part of the General College as a formalization of the American Indian Education Program. It was responsible for both Indian students and those students preparing to work among Indian people, and provided academic, techical, and vocational training, as well as activities and academic support for Native American and Pacific Islanders at the university. In 1979, the department was moved to Nonmajor Programs in Student Life, and was merged with Minority Education in 1981 to form the Multicultural Education Department. Department chairs included Royce P. Flandro (1966-1973), John Raymond Maestas (1974-1979), and Virgus Con Osborne (1979-1981).
14 boxes (7 linear ft.)
1 oversize folder (0.1 linear ft.)
31 folders (0.31 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged into three series: 1. Multicultural Programs scrapbooks, 1971-1988. 2. Multicultural Programs photographs, 1960-1990. 3. Multicultural Programs alumni magazines, 1984-1989.
Materials retained in original order. Similar materials arranged chronologically.
Transferred from Records Management in installments between 2009 and 2017.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred; Records Management; January 2009.
Transferred; Records Management; January 2017.
Office files (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).
Processed; Matthew Leavitt; February 2009.
Processed; Eric Wolford; January 2017.
Processed; Karen Glenn and Jaymon Roan; November 2021. Materials re-housed. File-level inventory created.
- A collection of newspapers not published by Brigham Young University--Provo published by Native American tribes in the United States and Canada.
- Brigham Young University. Indian Education Department -- Archives
- Brigham Young University. Multicultural Education Department -- Archives
- Brigham Young University. Multicultural Programs -- Archives
- College students -- Societies, etc.
- Indians of North America -- Education (Higher) -- Utah -- Provo
- Multicultural education -- Utah -- Provo
- Pageants -- Utah -- Photographs
- Student Life
- Register of Multicultural Programs records
- Matthew Leavitt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2017 January 10: Materials rehoused and publications deaccessed, description updated; Eric Wolford.
- 2021 November 3: Materials rehoused into document boxes, file-level inventory created; Karen Glenn and Jaymon Roan.